Waiting For A Visa - AutobioGraphy of Babasaheb Dr. B. R. Ambedkar

Waiting For A Visa


Writer : Dr. Babasaheb Bhimrao Ramji Ambedkar

Source: Dr. Babasaheb Ambedkar: Writings and Speeches, Vol. 12, edited by Vasant Moon (Bombay: Education Department, Government of Maharashtra, 1993), Part I, pp. 661-691.


Foreigners of course know of the existence of untouchability. But not being next door to it, so to say, they are unable to realize how oppressive it is in its actuality. It is difficult for them to understand how it is possible for a few untouchables to live on the edge of a village consisting of a large number of Hindus, go through the village daily to free it from the most disagreeable  of  its  filth  and  to  carry  the  errands  of  all  the sundry,  collect  food  at  the  doors  of  the  Hindus,  buy  spices  and oil  at  the  shops  of  the  Hindu  Bania  from  a  distance,  regard  the village in every way as their home, and yet never touch nor be  touched  by  any  one  belonging  to  the  village.  The  problem is how best to give an idea of the way the untouchables are treated  by the  caste  Hindus.  A  general  description  or  a  record of cases of the treatment accorded to them are the two methods by which this purpose could be achieved. I have felt that the latter  would  be  more  effective  than  the  former.  In  choosing these illustrations I have drawn partly upon my experience and partly upon the experience of others. I begin with events that have happened to me in my own life.


Part -1 


Our family came originally from Dapoli Taluka of the Ratnagiri District of the Bombay Presidency. From the very commencement of the rule of the East India Company my fore-fathers  had  left  their  hereditary  occupation  for  service in  the  Army of  the  Company.  My father also  followed  the family tradition and sought service in the Army. He rose to the  rank  of  an  officer  and  was  a  Subhedar  when  he  retired. On his retirement my father took the family to Dapoli with a view  to  settling  down’  there.  But  for  some  reasons  my  father changed his mind. The family left Dapoli for Satara where we lived till 1904. The first incident which I am recording as well as I can remember, occured in about 1901 when we were  at Satara. My mother  was  then  dead.  My father  was away on service as a cashier at a place called Koregaon in Khatav Taluka  in the  Satara  District, where  the Government of Bombay had started the work of excavating a Tank for giving employment to famine stricken people who were dying by thousands. When my father went to Koregaon he left me, my  brother  who  was  older  than  myself  and  two  sons  of  my eldest sister who was dead, in charge of my aunt and some kind neighbours. My aunt was the kindest soul I know, but she was of no help to us. She was somewhat of a dwarf and had some trouble with her legs which made it very difficult for her to move about without the aid of somebody. Often times she had to be lifted. I had sisters. They were married and were away living with their families. Cooking our food became a problem with us especially as our aunty could not on account of her helplessness, manage the job. We four children went to school and we also cooked our food. We could not prepare bread. So we lived on Pulav which we found to be  the  easiest  dish  to  prepare,  requiring  nothing more  than mixing rice and mutton. Being a cashier my father could not leave his station to come  to  Satara  to  see  us,  therefore  he  wrote  to  us  to  come to Koregaon and spend our summer vacation with him. We children  were  thoroughly excited  over  the  prospect  especially as none of us had up to that time seen a railway train.

Great  preparations  were  made.  New  shirts  of  English make, bright beje welled caps, new shoes, new silk-bordered dhoties  were  ordered  for  the  journey.  My father  had  given  us all  particulars  regarding  our  journey  and  had  told  us  to  inform him  on  which  day  we  were  starting  so  that  he  would  send his peon to the Railway Station to meet us and to take us to Goregaon. According to this arrangement myself, my brother and one of my sister’s sons left Satara, our aunt remaining in  charge  of  our  neighbours  who  promised  to  look  after  her. The  Raiway Station  was  10  miles  distant  from  our  place  and a  tonga  (a one-horse carriage) was engaged to take us to the Station.  We were dressed  in the  new clothing specially made for the occasion and we left our home full of joy but amidst the cries of my aunt who was almost prostrate with grief at our parting. When we reached the station my brother bought tickets and gave me and my sister’s son two annas each as pocket money to be spent at our pleasure. We at once began our career of riotous living and each ordered a bottle of lemonade at the start. After a short while the train whistled in and we boarded it as quickly as we could for fear of being left behind. We were told to detrain at Masur, the nearest railway station for Goregaon. The train arrived at Masur at about 5 in the evening and we got down with our luggage. In a few minutes all the passengers who had got down from the train had gone away to their destination.
We four children remained on the platform looking out for my father or his servant whom he had promised to send. Long did we wait but no one turned up. An hour elapsed and  the station-master  came  to  enquire.  He  asked us for our tickets. We showed them to him. He asked us why we tarried.,  We  told  him  that  we  were  bound  for  Goregaon  and that we were waiting for father or his servant to come but that neither had turned up and that we did not know how to reach Goregaon. We were well dressed children. From our dress or talk no one could make out that we were children of the  untouchables.  Indeed  the  station-master  was  quite  sure we were Brahmin children and was extremely touched at the plight in which he found us. As is usual among the Hindus the  staion-master  asked  us  who  we  were.  Without  a  moment’s thought I blurted out that we were Mahars. (Mahar is one of the communities  which  are  treated  as  untouchables  in  the  Bombay Presidency). He was stunned. His face underwent a sudden change. We could see that he was overpowered by a strange feeling of repulsion. As soon as he heard my reply he went away to his room and we stood where we were. Fifteen to twenty minutes elapsed; the sun was almost setting. The father had not turned up nor had he sent his servant, and now the station-master had also left us. We were quite bewildered and the joy and happiness which we felt at the beginning of the journey gave way to the feeling of extreme sadness. After  half  an  hour  the  station-master  returned  and  asked us what we proposed to do. We said that if we could get a bullock-cart on hire we would go to Goregaon and if it was not very far we would like to start straightway. There were many bullock-cans plying for hire. But my reply to the station-master that we were Mahars had gone round among the cartmen and not  one  of  them  was  prepared  to  suffer  being  polluted  and  to demean  himself  carrying  passengers  of  the  untouchable  classes. We  were prepared to pay double the  fare  but we found that money did not work. The station-master who was negotiating on our behalf stood silent not knowing what to do. Suddenly a thought seemed to have entered his head and he asked us, “Can you drive the can  ?” Feeling that he was finding out a solution  of  our  difficulty  we  shouted,  “Yes,  we  can”.  With  that answer he went and proposed on our behalf that we were to pay  the  cartman  double  the  fare  and  drive  the  cart  and  that he should walk on foot along with the cart on our journey. One cartman agreed as it gave him an opportunity to earn his fare and also saved him from being polluted. It  was  about  6.30  p.m.  when  we  were  ready to  start.  But we  were  anxious  not  to  leave  the  station  until  we  were  assured that we would reach Goregaon before it was dark. We therefore questioned the cartman as to the distance and the time he would take to reach Goregaon. He assured us that it would be not more than 3 hours. Believing in his  word,  we put our luggage in the can, thanked the station-master and got into the cart. One of us took the reins and the cart started with the man walking by our side. Not very far from the station there flowed a river. It was quite dry except at places where there were small pools of water. The owner of the cart proposed that we should halt there and have our  meal  as  we  might  not  get  water  on  our  way.  We  agreed. He asked us to give a part of his fare to enable him to go to the village and have his meal. My brother gave him some money and he left promising to return soon. We were very hungry  and  were  glad  to  have  had  an  opportunity  to  have  a bite.  My  aunty  had  pressed  our  neighbours’  women  folk  into service and had got some nice preparation for us to take on our way. We opened tiffin basket and started eating. We needed water to wash things down. One of us went to the pool of water in the river basin nearby. But the water really was no water. It was thick with mud and urine and excreta of the cows and buffaloes and other cattle who went to the pool for drinking. In fact that water was not intended for human use. At any rate the stink of the water was so strong we could not drink it. We had therefore to close our meal before we were satisfied and wait for the arrival of the cartman. He did not come for a long time and all that we could do was to look for him in all directions. Ultimately he came and we started on our journey. For some four or live miles we drove the cart and he  walked  on  foot.  Then  he  suddenly  jumped  into  the  cart  and took  the  reins  from  our  hand.  We  thought  this  to  be  rather a  strange  conduct  on  the  part  of  a  man  who  had  refused  to let the cart on hire for fear of pollution to have set aside all his  religious  scruples  and  to  have  consented  to  sit  with  us  in the same cart but we dared not ask him any questions on the point. We were anxious to reach Koregaon our destination as quickly as possible. And for sometime we were interested in the  movement  of  the  cart  only.  But  soon  there  was  darkness all  around  us.  There  were  no  street  lights  to  relieve  the darkness.  There  were  no  men  or  women  or  even  cattle  passing by to make us feel that we were in their midst. We became fearful of the loneliness which surrounded us. Our anxiety was growing. We mustered all the courage we possessed. We had travelled far from Masur. It was more than three hours. But there was no sign of Koregaon. There arose a strange thought within us. We suspected that the cartman intended treachery  and  that  he  was  taking  us  to  some  lonely  spot  to kill us. We had lot of gold ornaments on us and that helped to  strengthen  our  suspicion.  We  started  asking  him  how  far Koregaon was, why we were so late in reaching it. He kept on saying, “It is not very far, we shall soon reach it”. It was about 10.00 at night when finding that there was no trace of Koregaon we children started crying and abusing the cartman. Our lamentations and wailings continued for long. The cartman made no reply. Suddenly we saw a light burning at  some  distance.  The  cartman  said,  “Do  you  see  that  light  ? That  is  a  light  of  the  toll-collector.  We  will  rest  there  for  the night.” We felt some relief and stopped crying. The light was distant,  but  we  could  never  seem  to  reach  it.  It  took  us  two hours to reach the toll-collector’s hut. The interval increased our anxiety and we kept on asking the cartman all sorts of questions,  as  to  why  there  was  delay  in  reaching  the  place, whether we were going on the same road, etc. Ultimately  by  mid-night  the  cart  reached  the  toll-collector’s hut.  It  was  situated  at  the  foot  of  a  hill  but  on  the  other side of the hill. When we arrived we saw a large number of bullock-carts there all resting for the night. We were extremely hungry  and  wanted  very  much  to  eat.  But  again  there  was the question of water. So we asked our driver whether it was possible to get water. He warned us that the toll-collector was a Hindu and that there was no possibility of our getting water if we spoke the truth and said that we were Mahars. He  said,  “Say  you  are  Mohammedans  and  try  your  luck”.  On his advice I went to the toll-collector’s hut and asked him if he  would  give  us  some  water.  “Who  are  you  ?”,  he  inquired. I  replied  that  we  were  Musalmans.  I  conversed  with  him  in Urdu which I knew very well so as to leave no doubt that I was a real Musalman. But the trick did not work and his reply was very curt. “Who has kept water for you  ? There is water on the hill, if  you want to go and get it, I have none.” With this he dismissed  me. I returned to the cart and conveyed to my brother his reply. I don’t know what my brother felt. All that he did was to tell us to lie down. The bullocks had  been unyoked  and  the cart was placed sloping down on the ground. We spread our beds on the bottom planks inside the cart, and laid  down  our  bodies  to  rest.  Now  that  we  had come to a place of safety we did not mind what happened. But our minds could not help turning to the latest event. There was plenty of food with us. There was hunger burning within us  ; with all this we were to sleep without food; that was because we could get no water and we could get no water because we were  untouchables.  Such  was  the  last  thought  that  entered our mind. I said, we had come to a place of safety. Evidently my elder brother had his misgivings. He said it was not wise for all four of us to go to sleep. Anything might happen. He suggested that at one time two should sleep and two should keep watch. So we spent the night at the foot of that hill. Early at 5 in the morning our cartman came and suggested that we should start for Koregaon. We flatly refused. We told him that we would not move until 8 O’clock. We did not want to  take  any  chance.  He  said  nothing.  So  we  left  at  8  and reached Koregaon at 11. My father was surprised to see us and  said  that  he  had  received  no  intimation  of  our  coming. We protested that we had given intimation. He denied the fact. Subsequently it was discovered that the fault was of my father’s servant. He had received our letter but failed to give it to my father. This incident has a very important place in my life.  I was a boy of nine when it happened. But it has left an indelible impression on my mind. Before this incident occured, I knew that  I  was an untouchable and  that untouchables were subjected to certain indignities and discriminations. For instance, I knew  that  in  the  school  I  could  not  sit  in  the  midst  of  my class students according to my rank but that I was to sit in a corner by myself. I knew  that in the  school  I was to have a separate piece of gunny cloth for me to squat on in the class room and the servant employed to clean the school would not touch  the  gunny cloth  used  by me. I  was  required  to  carry the gunny cloth home in the evening and bring it back the next day. While in the school I knew that children of the touchable classes, when they felt thirsty, could go out to the water tap, open it and quench their thirst. All that was necessary was the  permission  of  the  teacher.  But  my  position  was  separate. I could not touch the tap and unless it was opened for it by a touchable person, it was not possible for me to quench my thirst. In my case the permission of the teacher was not enough. The presence of the school peon was necessary, for, he  was  the  only person  whom  the  class  teacher  could  use for  such  a  purpose.  If  the  peon  was  not  available  I  had  to go without water. The situation can be summed up in the statement—no peon, no water. At home I knew that the work of washing clothes was done by my sisters. Not that there were no washermen in Satara. Not that we could not afford to pay the washermen. Washing was done by my sisters because we were untouchables and  no washerman would wash the clothes of an untouchable. The work of cutting the hair or  shaving  the  boys  including  myself  was  done  by  our  elder sister who had become quite an expert barber by practising the art on us, not that there were no barbers in Satara, not  that  we  could  not  afford  to  pay the  barber.  The  work  of shaving and hair cutting was done by my sister because we were untouchables and no barber would consent to shave an untouchable.  All  this  I  knew.  But  this  incident  gave  me  a shock  such  as  I  never  received  before,  and  it  made  me  think about  untouchability  which,  before  this  incident  happened, was with me a matter of course as it is with many touchables as well as the untouchables.


Part -2 


In 1916 I returned to India. I had been sent to America by His Highness  the  Maharaja of  Baroda  for  higher  education. I studied at Columbia University in New York from 1913 to 1917. In 1917 I came to London and joined the post-graduate department of the School of Economics of the University of London. In 1918 I was obliged to return to India without completting  my  studies.  As  I  was  educated  by  the  Baroda  State I was bound to serve the State. Accordingly on my arrival I straightway went to Baroda. The reasons why I left Baroda service are quite irrelevant to my present purpose. I do not therefore wish to enter into them. I am only concerned with my social experiences in Baroda and I will confine myself to describing them. My  five  years  of  stay  in  Europe  and  America  had  completely wiped out of my mind any consciousness that I was an untouchable and that an untouchable whenever he went in India was a problem to himself and to others. But when I came out of the station my mind was considerably disturbed by a  question,  “Where  to  go  ? Who  will  take  me  ?”  I  felt  deeply agitated. Hindu hotels, called Vishis, I knew, there were. They would  not  take  me.  The  only  way  of  seeking accommodation therein was by impersonation. But I was not prepared for it because I could well anticipate the dire consequences which were  sure  to  follow  if  my  identity  was  discovered  as  it  was  sure to be. I had friends in Baroda who had come to America for study.  “Would  they welcome me if I went  ?” I could not  assure myself. They may feel embrassed  by admitting an untouchable in  their  household.  I  stood  under  the  roof  of  the  station  for sometime  thinking,  where  to  go,  what  to  do.  It  then  struck  me to  enquire if there  was any place in  the  camp. All passengers had  by  this  time  gone.  I  alone  was  left.  Some  hackney drivers who had failed to pick up any traffic were watching and waiting for me. I called one of them and asked him if he knew if there was a hotel in the camp. He said that there was a Parsi inn and that they took paying guests. Hearing that it was an inn maintained by the Parsis my heart was gladdened. The Parsis are followers of the Zoroastrian religion. There was no fear of my being treated by them as an untouchable because their  religion  does  not  recognize  untouchability.  With  a  heart glad  with  hope  and  a  mind  free  from  fear  I  put  my  luggage in a hackney carriage and asked the driver to drive me to Parsi inn in the camp. The  inn  was  a  two  storied  building  on  the  ground  floor  of which lived an old Parsi with  his family. He was a caretaker and supplied food to tourists who came there to stay. The carriage arrived and the Parsi caretaker showed me upstairs. I went up while the carriage driver brought up my luggage. I paid him and he went away. I felt happy that after all I had solved  my  problem  of  finding  a  sojourn.  I  was  undressing  as I wanted to be at ease. In the meantime the caretaker came with a book in his hand. Seeing as he could well see from my half undressed state that I had no Sadra and Kasti, the two things which prove that one is a Parsi, in a sharp tone he asked me, who I was. Not knowing that this inn was maintained by the Parsi community for the use of Parsis only, I  told him that  I  was  a  Hindu.  He was shocked,  and told  me  that  I  could  not  stay  in  the  inn.  I  was  thoroughly shocked by his answer and was cold all over. The question returned  again  where  to  go  ?  Composing myself  I  told  him that though a Hindu I had no objection to staying there if he had no objection. He replied, “How can you  ? I have to maintain  a  register  of  all  those  who  stay  here  in  the  inn.” I  saw  his  difficulty.  I  said  I  could  assume  a  Parsi  name  for the  purpose  of  entering  it  in  the  register.  “Why  do  you  object if I do not object, you will not lose, you will earn something if  I  stay  here.”  I  could  see  that  he  was  inclined  favourably. Evidently  he  had  had  no  tourist  for  a  long  time  and  he  did not like to forego the opportunity of making a little money. He agreed on condition that I pay him a rupee and a half per day for board and lodging and entered myself as a Parsi in  his register.  He went downstairs  and I  heaved  a  sigh of relief. The problem was solved and I felt very happy. But alas !  I did not then know how short was to be this happiness. But  before  I  describe  the  tragic  end  of  my stay in  this  inn  I must describe how I passed my time during the short period I lived therein. The inn on the first floor had a small bed-room and adjoining it was one small bath room with a water tap in it. The rest was one big hall. At the time of my stay the big hall was filled  up with all sorts of rubbish, planks, benches, broken chairs, etc. In the midst of the surroundings I lived a single solitary individual. The caretaker came up in the morning with  a  cup  of  tea.  He  came  again  at  about  9.30  with my  breakfast  or  morning  meal.  A  third  time  he  came  up  at about 8.30 in the evening with my dinner. The caretaker came up  only  when  he  could  not  avoid  it  and  on  these  occasions he never stayed to talk to me. The day was spent somehow. I was appointed a probationer in the Accountant General’s Office by the Maharaja of Baroda. I used to leave the inn at about 10 a.m. for the office and return late at about 8 in the evening contriving to while away outside the inn as much time in company of friends as I could. The idea of returning to the inn to spend the night therein was most terrifying to me  and  I  used  to  return  to  the  inn  only  because  I  had  no other place under the sky to go for rest. In this big hall on the  first  floor  of  the  inn  there  were  no  fellow  human  beings to talk to. I was quite alone. The whole hall was enveloped in complete darkness. There were no electric lights nor even oil  lamps  to  relieve  the  darkness.  The  caretaker  used  to  bring up for my use a small hurricane lamp. Its light could not extend beyond a few inches. I felt that I was in a dungeon and I longed for the company of some human being to talk to. But there was none. In the absence of the company of human beings I sought the company of books and read and read. Absorbed in reading I forgot my lonely condition. But the chirping and flying about of the bats, which had made the hall their home, often distracted my mind and sent cold shivers through me reminding me of what I was endeavouring to forget, that I was in a strange place under strange  conditions.  Many  a  time  I  must  have  been  angry.  But I subdued my grief  and my anger by the feeling that though it was a dungeon, it was a shelter and that some shelter was better than no shelter. So heart-rending was my condition that when my sister’s son came from Bombay bringing my remaining  luggage  which  I  had  left  behind  and  when  he  saw  my state, began  to cry so loudly  that I had to send him back immediately. In this state I lived in the Parsi inn impersonating a  Parsi.  I  knew  that I  could  not long continue this impersonation as I would be discovered some day. I was therefore  trying to  get  a  State  bungalow  to stay in.  But  the Prime  Minister  did  not  look  upon  my  request  with  the  same urgency. My petition went from officer  to officer and before I got the final reply the day of my doom arrived. It  was  11th  day  of  my  stay  in  the  inn.  I  had  taken  my morning meal and had dressed up and was about to step out of my  room  to  go  to  office.  As  I  was  picking up  some  books  which I had borrowed overnight for returning them to the library I heard  footsteps  of  a  considerable  number  of  people  coming up the staircase. I thought they were tourists who had come to stay and was therefore looking out to see who these friends were. Instantly I  saw a dozen angry looking, tall, sturdy Parsis, each armed with a stick, coming towards my room. I realised that they were not fellow tourists and they gave proof of it immediately. They lined up in front of my room and fired a volley of questions. “Who are you  ? Why did you come here  ? How dare you take a parsi name  ?  You scoundrel! You have polluted the Parsi inn ! “I stood silent. I could give no answer. I  could  not  persist  in  impersonation.  It  was in  fact  a  fraud and the fraud was discovered, and I am sure if I had persisted in the game I was playing I would have been assaulted by the  mob  of  angry  and  fanatic  Parsis  and  probably  doomed  to death.  My meekness  and my silence  averted  this  doom. One of them asked when I thought of vacating. At that time my shelter I prized  more  than my life. The threat implied in this question was a grave one. I therefore broke my silence and implored them to let me stay for a week at least, thinking that my application to the Minister for a bungalow would be decided upon favourably in the meantime. But the Parsis were in no mood to listen. They issued an ultimatum. They must not find me in the inn in the evening. I must pack off. They held out dire consequences and left. I was bewildered. My heart sank within me. I cursed all and wept bitterly. After all I was deprived of my precious possession—namely my  shelter.  It  was  no  better  than  a  prisoners’s  cell.  But  it was to me very precious. After the Parsis were gone I sat for some time engaged in thinking to find a way out. I had hopes that I would soon get a  State  bungalow  and  my troubles  would  be  over.  My problem was  therefore a temporary problem  and  I  thought that going to  friends  would  be  a  good  solution.  I  had  no  friends  among the  untouchables  of  Baroda  State. But  I  had  friends  among other classes. One was a Hindu, the other was an Indian Christian. I first went  to my Hindu friend and told him  what had befallen me. He was a noble soul and a great personal friend of mine. He was sad and also indignant. He, however, let fall one observation. He said, “If you come to my home my servants will go”. I took the hint and did not press him to accommodate me. I did not like to go  to the  Indian Christian friend. Once he had invited me to go and stay with him. But I had declined preferring to stay in the Parsi inn. My reason was that his habits were not congenial to me. To go now  would  be  to  invite  a  rebuff.  So  I  went  to  my  office  but  I could not  really give  up  this chance  of  finding  a shelter.  On consulting a friend I decided to go to him and ask him if he would accommodate me. When I put the question his reply was that his wife was coming to Baroda the next day and that he would have to consult her. I learnt subsequently that it was a very diplomatic answer. He and his wife came originally from a family which was Brahmin by caste and although on conversion to Christianity the husband had become liberal in thought, the wife had remained orthodox in her ways and would not have consented to harbour an untouchable in her house.  The  last  ray of  hope  thus  flickered  away.  It  was  4  p.m. when I left the house of my Indian Christian friend. Where to go was the one supreme question before me. I must quit the inn and had no friend to go to ! ! The only alternative left was to return to Bombay. The  train  to  Bombay  left  Baroda  at  9  p.m.  There  were  five hours to be spent. Where to spend  them  ? Should  I  go to the inn  ? Should I go to my friend  ? I could not buck up sufficient courage to go back to the inn. I  feared  the Parsis might  come and  attack me.  I  did  not  like  to go  to  my friend.  Though  my condition was  pitiable  I  did  not  like  to  be  pitied.  I  decided  to  spend  the five hours in the public garden which is called Kamathi Baug, on  the  border  of  the  city  and  the  camp.  I  sat  there  partly with  a  vacant  mind,  partly  with  sorrow  at  the  thought  of what had happened to me, and thought of my father and mother  as  children  do  when  they are  in a  forlorn  condition. At 8 p.m. I came out of the garden, took a carriage to the inn,  brought  down  my  luggage.  The  caretaker  came  out  but neither he nor I could utter a word to each other. He felt that he was in some way responsible for bringing him into trouble.  I  paid  him  his  bill.  He  received  it  in  silence  and  I took his leave in silence. I had gone to Baroda with high hope. I had given up many offers. It was war time. Many places in the Indian Educational service were vacant. I knew very  influential  people  in  London.  But  I  did  not  seek  any  of them. I felt that my duty was to offer my services first to the Maharaja of Baroda who had financed my  education.  And here I was driven to leave Baroda and return to Bombay after a stay of only eleven days. This scene of a dozen Parsis armed with sticks lined before me  in  a  menacing  mood  and  myself  standing  before  them with  a  terrified  look  imploring  for  mercy  is  a  scene  which  so long a period as 18 years has not succeeded in fading away. I can even now vividly recall it and never recall it without: tears in my eyes. It was then for the first time that I learnt that  a  person  who  is  an  unouchable  to  a  Hindu  is  also  an untouchable to a Parsi. 


Part - 3

 The year was 1929. The Bombay Government had appointed a Committee to investigate the grievances of the untouchables. I was appointed a member of the Committee. The Committee had to tour all over the province to investigate into the  allegations  of injustice, oppression and tyranny.  The Committee split up.  I and another member  were assigned the two districts of Khandesh. My colleague and myself  after  finishing our  work  parted  company.  He went to see some Hindu saint. I left by train to go to Bombay. At Chalisgaon I got down to go to a village on the Dhulia line to investigate a case of social boycott which had been declared by the caste Hindus against the untouchables of  that  village.  The  untouchables  of  Chalisgaon  came  to the station and requested me to stay for the night with them. My original plan was to go straight to Bombay after investigating the case of social boycott. But as they were keen I agreed to stay overnight. I boarded the train for Dhulia to go to the village, went there and informed myself of the situation prevailing in the village and returned by the next train to Chalisgaon. I found the untouchables of Chalisgaon waiting for me at the station. I was garlanded. The Maharwada, the quarters of the untouchables, is about 2 miles from the Railway station and one has  to cross  a  river on which there is a culvert to reach it. There were many horse carnages at the station plying for hire.  The  Maharwada  was  also within  walking distance from the station. I expected immediately to be taken to  the Maharwada. But  there was no  movement  in that direction  and  I  could  not  understand  why  I  was  kept  waiting. After  an  hour  or  so  a  tonga  (one  horse  carriage)  was  brought close  to  the  platform  and  I  got  in.  The  driver  and  I  were the only two occupants of the  tonga.  Others went on foot by a short cut. The  tonga  had not gone 200 paces when there would  have been a  collision with a  motor car. I  was surprised that the driver who was paid for hire every day should have been so inexperienced. The accident was averted only because  on  the  laud  shout  of  the  policeman  the  driver  of  the car pulled it back. We  some  how  came  to  the  culvert  on  the  river.  On  it  there are no walls as there are on a bridge. There is only a row of stones  fixed  at  a  distance  of  five  or  ten  feet.  It  is  paved  with stones. The culvert on the river is at right angles to the road we were coming by. A sharp turn  has to be taken to come to the culvert from the road. Near the very first side stone of the culvert the horse instead of going straight took a turn and bolted. The wheel of the  tonga  struck against the side stone so forcibly that I was bodily lifted up and thrown down on  the  stone  pavement  of  the  culvert  and  the  horse  and  the carriage  fell down  from the culvert  into  the river. So  heavy was the fall that I lay down senseless. The Maharwada is just on  the other bank of the river. The men who had come to greet me at the station had reached there ahead of me. I was  lifted and  taken to the Maharwada amidst the  cries and lamentations of  the  men,  women  and  children.  As  a  result  of this I received several injuries. My leg was fractured and I was disabled for several days. I could not understand how all this happened. The  tongas  pass and repass the culvert every day and never has a driver failed to take the tonga safely over the culvert. On  enquiry  I  was  told  the  real  facts.  The  delay  at  the railway station was due to the fact that the tongawalas were not prepared to drive the tonga with a passenger who was an untouchable. It  was  beneath their  dignity.  The Mahars  could not tolerate that I should walk to their quarters. It was not in keeping with their sense of my dignity. A compromise was therefore arrived at. That compromise was to this effect: the owner of the tonga would give the tonga on hire but not drive. The Mahars may take the  tonga  but find some one to drive it. The Mahars thought this to be a happy solution. But they evidently forgot that the safety of the passenger was more important than the maintenance of his dignity. If they had thought  of  this  they  would  have  considered  whether  they  could get  a  driver  who  could  safely conduct  me  to  my destination. As a matter of fact none of them could drive because it was not their trade. They therefore asked someone from amongst  themselves  to  drive.  The  man  took  the  reins  in  his hand  and  started  thinking  there  was  nothing  in  it.  But  as he got on he felt his responsibility and became so nervous that  he gave  up  all  attempt  to  control.  To save  my dignity the Mahars of Chalisgaon had put my very life in jeopardy. It is then I learnt that a Hindu  tongawalla,  no better than a  menial,  has  a  dignity  by  which  he  can  look  upon  himself as  a  person  who  is  superior  to  all  untouchables  even  though he may be a Barristar-at-law. 



Part - 4


In the year 1934, some of my co-workers in the movement of the depressed classes expressed a desire to go on a sightseeing  tour  if  I agreed  to  join  them.  I  agreed.  It  was  decided that  our plan  should  at all  events include  a  visit  to the Buddhist  caves  at  Verul.  It  was  arranged  that  I  should  go to  Nasik  and  the  party  should  join  me  at  Nasik.  To  go  to Verul  we  had  to  go  to  Aurangabad.  Aurangabad  is  a  town in the Mohammedan State of Hyderabad and is included in  the  dominion  of  His  Exalted  Highness,  the  Nizam.  On the way to Aurangabad we had first to pass another town called Daulatabad which is also in the Hyderabad State. Daulatabad is a historical place and was, at one time, the capital of a famous Hindu King by name Ramdeo Rai. The fort of Daulatabad is an ancient historical monument and no tourist while in that vicinity should omit a visit to it. Accordingly our party had also included in its programme a visit to the fort of Daulatabad. We hired some buses and touring cars. We were about 30 in number. We started from Nasik to Yeola as Yeola is on the way to Aurangabad. Our tour programme had not been announced and quite deliberately. We wanted to travel incognito in order to avoid difficulties which an untouchable tourist has  to  face  in  outlying parts  of the  country.  We  had informed our people at those centres only at which we had decided to halt. Accordingly, on the-way although we passed many  villages  in the  Nizam  State  none  of  our  people had come  to  meet  us.  It  was  naturally  different  at  Daulatabad. There  our  people  had  been  informed  that  we  were  coming. They were waiting for us  and  had gathered  at the  entrance to the town. They asked us to get down and have tea and refreshment  first  and  then  to  go  to  see  the  fort.  We  did  not agree  to  their  proposal.  We  wanted  tea  very  badly  but  we wanted sufficient time to see the fort before it was dusk. We therefore left for the fort and told our people that we would take tea on our return. Accordingly we told our drivers to move on and within a few minutes we were at the gate of the fort. The  month  was  Ramjan,  the  month  of fast for  the Mohammedans.  Just  outside  the  gate  of  the  fort  there  is  a small tank of water full to brim. There is all around a wide stone pavement. Our faces, bodies and clothes were full  of dust gathered in the course of our journey and we all wished to have a wash. Without much thought some members of the party  washed  their  faces  and  their  legs  on  the  pavement  with the  water  from  the  tank.  After  these  ablutions  we  went  to the gate of the fort. There were armed soldiers inside. They opened the big gates and admitted us into the archway. We had just commenced asking the guard the procedure for obtaining  permission  to  go  into  the  fort.  In  the  meantime  an old Mohammedan with white flowing beard was coming from behind shouting “the Dheds (meaning untouchables) have polluted  the  tank”.  Soon  all  the  young  and  old  Mohammedans who were near about joined him and all started abusing us. “The Dheds have become arrogant. The Dheds have forgotten their religion (i.e. to remain low and degraded). The Dheds must be taught a lesson”. They assumed a most menacing mood. We told them that we were outsiders and did not know the local custom. They turned the fire of their wrath against the local  untouchables who by that time  had arrived at the gate. “Why did you not tell these outsiders that this tank  could  not  be  used  by  untouchables  !”  was  the  question they kept  on  asking them.  Poor  people  !  They  were  not  there when we entered tank. It was really our mistake because we acted without inquiry. They protested that it was not their fault. But the Mohammedans were not prepared to listen to my explanation. They kept on abusing them and us. The abuse was so vulgar that it had exasperated us. There could easily have been a riot and possibly murders. We had however to restrain ourselves. We did not want to be involved in a criminal case which would bring our tour to an abrupt end. One young muslim in the crowd kept on saying that every one must conform to his religion, meaning thereby that the untouchables must not take water from a public tank. I had grown quite impatient and asked him in a some what angry tone, “Is that what your religion teaches  ? Would you prevent an  untouchable  from  taking water  from  this  tank  if  he  became a Mohammedan ?” These  straight questions seemed to  have  some  effect  on  the  Mohammedans.  They gave  no  answer  and stood silent. Turning to the guard I said, again in an angry tone, “Can we get into the fort or not  ? Tell us, if we can’t we don’t want to stop”. The guard asked for my name. I wrote it out on a piece of paper. He took it to the Superintendent inside and came out. We were told that we could go into the fort but we could not touch water anywhere in the fort and an  armed  soldier  was  ordered  to  go with us  to  see  that we did not transgress the order. I gave one instance to show that a person who is an untouchable  to  a  Hindu  is  also  an  untouchable  to  a  Parsi. This  will  show  that  person  who  is  an  untouchable  to  a  Hindu is also an untouchable to a Mohammedan. 



Part - 5


The next case is equally illuminating. It is a case of an Untouchable school teacher in a village in Kathiawar and is reported in the following letter which appeared in the ‘Young India’  a journal published by Mr. Gandhi in its issue of  12th  December  1929.  It  expresses  the  difficulties  he  had expressed in persuading a Hindu doctor to attend to his wife who had just delivered and how the wife and child died for want of medical attention. The letter says: “On the 5th  of this  month  a  child  was  born  to  me. On  the 7th, she fell ill and suffered from loose stools. Her vitality seemed to ebb away and her chest became inflamed. Her breathing became difficult  and  there  was  acute  pain  in  the  ribs,  I  went  to  call  a doctor—but he said he would not go to the house of a Harijan nor was he prepared to examine the child. Then I went to Nagarseth and  Garasia  Darbar  and  pleaded  them  to  help  me.  The  Nagarseth stood surety to the doctor for my paying his fee of two rupees. Then the doctor came but on condition that he would examine them only outside the Harijan colony. I took my wife out of the colony  along  with  her  newly  born  child.  Then  the  doctor  gave his thermometer to a Muslim, he gave it to me and I gave it to my wife and then returned it by the same process after it had been applied. It was about eight o’clock in the evening and the doctor on looking at the thermometer in the light of a lamp said that  the  patient  was  suffering  from  pneumonia.  Then  the  doctor went away and sent the medicine. I brought some linseed from the bazar and used it on the patient. The doctor refused to sec her  later,  although  I  gave  the  two  rupees  fee.  The  disease  is dangerous and God alone will help us. The lamp of my life has died out. She passed away at about two o’clock this afternoon.” The name of the Untouchable school teacher is not given. So also the name of the doctor is not mentioned. This was at the request of the Untouchable teacher who feared reprisals. The facts are indisputable. No explanation is necessary. The doctor, who inspite of being educated refused to apply the thermometer and treat an ailing woman in a critical condition. As a result of his refusal to treat her, the woman died. He felt no qualms of conscience in  setting  aside  the  code  of  conduct  which  is  binding  on  his profession. The Hindu would prefer to be inhuman rather than touch an Untouchable.



Part - 6




There is one other incident more telling than this. On the 6th of March 1938, a meeting of the Bhangis was held at Kasarwadi (behind Woollen Mills) Dadar, Bombay, under the Chairmanship of Mr. Indulal Yadnik. In this meeting, one Bhangi boy narrated his experience in the following terms: “I passed the Vernacular Final Examination in 1933. I have studied  English  up  to  the  4th  Standard.  I  applied  to  the  Schools Committee of the Bombay Municipality for employment as a teacher but I failed as there was no vacancy. Then, I applied to the Backward Classes Officer, Ahemadabad, for the job of a Talati (village Patwari) and I succeeded. On 19th February 1936,  I  was  appointed  a  Talati  in  the  office  of  the  Mamlatdar of the Borsad Taluka in the Kheda District. Although  my family originally came from Gujarat, I had never been in Gujarat before. This was my first occasion logo there. Similarly, I did not know that untouchability would be observed  in  Government  Offices.  Besides  in  my  application  the facts of  my  being a  Harijan was mentioned  and  so I  expected that my colleagues in the office would know before-hand who I was. That being so, I was surprised to find the attitude of the clerk of the Mamlatdar’s office when I presented myself to take charge of the post of the Talati. The  Karkun  contemptuously  asked,  “Who  are  you  ?”  I replied, “Sir, lam a Harijan”. “He said,” Go away, stand at a distance. How dare you stand so near me. You are in office, if you were outside I would have given you six kicks, what audacity  to  come here  for  service  ? “Thereafter,  he  asked me to drop  on  the  ground  my  certificate  and  the  order  of  appointment as  a  Talati.  He  then  picked  them  up.  While  I  was  working  in the Mamlatdar’s office at Borsad I experienced great difficulty in the matter of getting water for drinking. In the verandah of  the  office  there  were  kept  cans  containing  drinking  water. There was a waterman incharge of these water cans. His duty was  to  pour  out  water  to  clerks  in  office  whenever  they  needed it. In the absence of the waterman they could themselves take water out of the cans and drink it. That was impossible in my case. I could not touch the cans for my touch would pollute  the  water,  I  had  therefore  to  depend  upon  the  mercy of the waterman. For my use there was kept a small rusty pot. No one would touch it or wash it except myself. It was in this pot that the waterman would dole out water to mc. But I could get water only if the waterman was present. This waterman did not like the idea of supplying me with water. Seeing that I was coming for water he would manage to slip away with the result that I had to go without water and the days on which I had no water to drink were by no means few. I had the same difficulties regarding my residence. I was a stranger in Borsad. No caste Hindu would rent a house to me.  The  Untouchables  of  Borsad  were  not  ready  to  give  me lodgings for the fear of displeasing the Hindus who did not like my attempt to live as a clerk, a station above me. Far greater  difficulties were  with  regard  to  food.  There  was  no place or person from where I could get my meals. I used to buy  ‘Bhajhas  ‘morning  and  evening,  eat  them  in  some  solitary place outside the village and come and sleep at night, on the pavement of the verandahs of the  Mamlatdar’s office. In this way,  I  passed  four  days.  All  this  became  unbearable  to  me. Then I went to live at Jentral, my ancestral village. It was six miles from Borsad. Every day I had to walk eleven miles. This I did for a month and a half. There after the Mamlatdar sent me to a Talati to learn the work. This Talati was in charge of three villages, Jentral, Khapur and Saijpur. Jentral was his headquarters. I was in Jentral with this Talati for two months. He taught me nothing and  I  never  once  entered  the  village  office.  The  headman  of the  village  was particularly  hostile.  Once  he had  said,’  you fellow,  your  father,  your  brother  are  sweepers  who  sweep  the village  office  and  you  want  to  sit  in  the  office  as  our  equal  ? Take care, better give up this job.’ One day the Talati called  me to Saijpur to prepare the population table of the village. From Jentral I went to Saijpur, I found the Headman and the Talati in the villege office doing some work. I went, stood near the door of the office and wished them  ‘good morning’ but  they  look  no notice of me. I stood outside for about 15 minutes. I was already  tired  of  life  and  felt  enraged  at  being  thus  ignored and insulted. I sat down on a chair that was lying there. Seeing me seated on the chair the Headman and the Talati quietly  went  away without saying  anything  to  me.  A short while after,  people began to come and  soon  a large  crowd gathered  round  me.  This  crowd  was  led  by  the  Librarian  of the  village  library.  I  could  not  understand  why  an  educated person should have led this mob. I subsequently learnt that the  chair  was  his.  He  started  abusing  me  in  the  worst  terms. Addressing the Ravania (village servant) he said, ‘Who allowed this dirty dog of a Bhangi to sit on the chair  ?’ The Ravania unseated me and took away the chair from me. I sat on the ground.  Thereupon  the  crowd  entered  the  village  office  and sun-rounded me. It was a furious crowd raging with anger, some  abusing  me,  some  threatening  to  cut  me  to  pieces  with Dharya (a sharp weapon like the sword). I implored them to excuse me and to have mercy upon me. That did not have any effect upon the crowd. I did not know how to save myself. But an idea came to me of writing to the Mamlatdar about the fate that had befallen me and telling him how to dispose of my body in  case I was killed  by the  crowd.  Incidentally, it was my hope that  if  the  crowd  came  to  know  that  I  was  practically  reporting against them to the Mamlatdar they might hold their hands. I asked the Ravania to give me a piece of paper which he did. Then with my fountain pen I wrote the following on it in big bold letters so that everybody could read it: “To, The Mamlatdar, Taluka Borsad. Sir, Be pleased to accept the humble salutations of Parmar Kalidas Shivram. This is to humbly inform you that the hand of death is falling upon me today. It would not have been so if I  had listened to the words of my parents. Be so good as to inform my parents of my death.” The Librarian read what I wrote and at once asked me to tear it  off, which I  did.  They  showered  upon  me  innumerable insults. ‘You want us to address you as our Talati  ? You are a Bhangi and you want to enter the office and sit on the chair  ?’ I  implored  for  mercy  and  promised  not  to  repeat  this  and  also promised to  give up the  job.  I  was  kept  there till  seven in  the evning when the crowd left. Till then the Talati and the Mukhiya had  not  come.  Thereafter  I  took  fifteen  days’  leave  and  returned to my parents in Bombay.” 

Comments

Most Popular Posts

बाबा साहेब डॉ. भीमराव अंबेडकर महापरिनिर्वाण दिवस विशेष

Chamar Regiment

BhimaKoregaon